Episode 22 - Abiding in Christ and bearing much fruit
Introduction to the Fruit of the Spirit: that time when Jen had it wrong
Download these bookmarks/journal cards to help you remember what you are learning about the fruit of the Spirit. Take notes on the Scripture... or even the podcast ;). And enjoy a taste of Sojo Academy!
We are starting a new series this month- yay! During June and July, we’ll be doing a series on the Fruit of the Spirit. We’ll be sharing about each of the individual Fruit of the Spirit found in Galatians 5:22-23.
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.”
Sometimes the perception of how we produce the fruit of the Spirit can be in-accurate. In today’s episode, Jen and AJ make a quick introduction to the series, and Jen shares how her understanding for several years was quite wrong. The fruit of the Spirit are not qualities that we work for and labor to gain, but they naturally grow out of our hearts when we are seeking God, trusting Christ and growing in faith.
When Jen understood the fruit of the Spirit as an outflowing of her maturity and walk with God, it changed everything. She finally understood she simply needed to strive to know Christ more!
“We place our faith in Christ, believer HE is sufficient. He has given us everything we need for life and godliness. And from that belief, we then live and make choices. As we live who we are in Christ, our fruit comes as a result of that.” - AJ
The tree analogy was a good way for the girls to explain a little bit more: as you cultivate a tree, you don't just put all your attention on the leaves and the branches of the tree. The root system is what's going to naturally produce the leaves, branches, and fruit if it's healthy. The same way with our relationship with Christ, our fruitfulness comes as a result of abiding in the vine.
Warren Wiersbe (1929-2019) notes that "The contrast between works and fruit is important. A machine in a factory works, and turns out a product, but it could never manufacture fruit. Fruit must grow out of life, and, in the case of the believer, it is the life of the Spirit (Gal. 5:25). “
Our focus needs to be on cultivating our relationship with God. The fruit is an outward manifestation of what's going on the inside. R.C. Sproul put it plainly when he said “it is the evidence of the fruit of the Spirit that is the mark of our progress in sanctification.”
Tune in today and listen to a super encouraging episode where Jen and AJ honestly open up about the confusions surrounding the understanding of the “Fruit of the Spirit”, the meanings of the word “Abide”, and their practical ways and plans to what to do in order to grow in Christlikeness and bear fruit.
For Further Study
Read the Bible verses mentioned during the episode:
If you want to go even further, join us for an in-depth study of the Fruit of the Spirit! You will have access to a Scripture Reading Plan, Workbooks, Live workshop, recording, special community, creative elements for journaling, and much much more. Get the details here: www.sojoacademy.com.
- Study the Fruits of the Spirit in more depth with nine full modules, a printable Bible journaling kit, Scripture reading and writing plan, and BONUS videos. FIND IT HERE.
- Become a Sojo Academy member: a community for Christian women that encourages Bible Study, fellowship, and creative worship. CHECK IT OUT HERE.
- We encourage you to download a wonderful free resource while you listen to the podcast episodes.
It's a 9 printable bookmark for each Fruit of the Spirit mentioned in Galatians 5:22-23. Use this printable resource to help you with your reflections, readings, and quiet time with God. Enjoy!
- “We place our faith in Christ, believer HE is sufficient. He has given us everything we need for life and godliness. And from that belief, we then live and we make choices. As we live who we are in Christ, our fruit comes as a result of that.” - AJ
- “In order to manifest these fruits of the Spirit, you just have to remain in Christ. If you are in Christ, you already have what it takes. And as you grow in sanctification, The Holy Spirit will produce His fruit in you.” Jen
- “When we walk in the Spirit, we take the truth and we act as if it's real. That is really how we grow up and how our fruit matures and develops. And it becomes something that nourishes other people around us. Then we're recognized by that fruit and we're able to reflect the glory of God because of the fruit in our own lives.” AJ
Listener question of the week:
For our listener questions of the week, AJ and Jen answered a question pretty relatable for the new season coming up: “What are your plans for summer?”
Thank you for sending in questions for us! If you have a question you’d love to have an answer to, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW TO RATE, REVIEW & SUBSCRIBE
You can find The Sojo Show Podcast on all the major podcast apps, as well as here on The Sojo Hub website.
Subscribe on your favorite podcast player using the links below.
And don’t forget to leave a rating and review after you’ve listened. We really appreciate it and truly want to hear what you think!
CONNECT WITH JEN & AJ
Also, If you have a question for us, it could be super silly, it can be a little bit deeper. It doesn’t matter, email us at email@example.com... you may just hear the answer on an upcoming podcast episode!