Episode 26 - Tenaciously holding on in the waiting
Fruit of the Spirit: PATIENCE
Download these bookmarks/journal cards to help you remember what you are learning about the fruit of the Spirit. Take notes on the Scripture... or even the podcast ;). And enjoy a taste of Sojo Academy!
If you listened to the first episode in this series, “Abiding in Christ and bearing much fruit”, we talked about Jen’s misconceptions of how to bear biblical fruit. Well today, AJ gets real about one she struggles with: patience!
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.”
While Jen was struggling with this fruit of the spirit specifically, before she understood that patience it's something that God produces in us, today you’ll hear from both ladies some good news: We don't have to create it on our own.
Jen and AJ shared this not so glamorous fruit of the Spirit, what they’ve learned from studying about it in the scriptures, the benefits of patience in our lives… and MUCH MORE!
“But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.” - James 1:4
Patience often comes through waiting and enduring difficult things. Patience is a character of God. Aren’t you glad for the patience of God? We sure are!
Besides that, there are a great many benefits to patience, such as:
- Increases our ability to deny ourselves;
- It allows us to refrain from avenging wrongs done to us;
- It keeps us from acting rashly or lashing out;
- It keeps us steadfast;
- It increases our capacity to endure
Understanding the benefits of patience in our lives can really be motivating for us to say, “Lord God, please do expand my ability to be patient”..
A couple particular instances AJ shared where patience is mentioned in Scripture as being given to us in Christ:
- When you're waiting on a promise from God, knowing that He always keeps His promises. He is going to be faithful to us and that can boost our patience as we wait.
- When we're facing temptation, God always gives us a way of escape. We can bear up under those temptations patiently and keep fighting the fight of faith.
( Also, If you're feeling a little bit like a hot mess, join the club! LOL Let's grow together. That's what we do at Sojo Academy…. We walk together, we are sojourning together. Because really, we are all on the hot mess express.)
We encourage you to make your own patience “benefits” list and give it some thought. Also, try to align yourself with other people who can remind you of the truth on a regular basis. And think about how you can exercise patience in your relationships, in hardship, in temptation, and in waiting on God to act.
For Further Study
Read the Bible verses mentioned during the episode:
- James 1:4
- Hebrews 6
If you want to go even further, join us for an in-depth study of the Fruit of the Spirit! You will have access to a Scripture Reading Plan, Workbooks, Live workshop, recording, special community, creative elements for journaling and much much more. Get the details here: www.sojoacademy.com.
- Study the Fruits of the Spirit in more depth with nine full modules, a printable Bible journaling kit, Scripture reading and writing plan, and BONUS videos. FIND IT HERE.
- Become a Sojo Academy member: a community for Christian women that encourages Bible Study, fellowship, and creative worship. CHECK IT OUT HERE.
- If you didn't yet, go back and listen to episode 23: Introduction to the Fruit of the Spirit HERE.
- We encourage you to download a wonderful free resource while you listen to the podcast episodes.
It's a 9 printable bookmark for each Fruit of the Spirit mentioned in Galatians 5:22-23. Use this printable resource to help you with your reflections, readings, and quiet time with God. Enjoy!
“As they see Christ in us through our patience and steadfastness, we draw others to Christ by being a savory influence in their lives.” - AJ
“This is a character of God. And so, because this is a character of God, this should be something we strive to see in our lives as well.” - Jen Evangelista
HOW TO RATE, REVIEW & SUBSCRIBE
You can find The Sojo Show Podcast on all the major podcast apps, as well as here on The Sojo Hub website.
Subscribe on your favorite podcast player using the links below.
And don’t forget to leave a rating and review after you’ve listened. We really appreciate it and truly want to hear what you think!
CONNECT WITH JEN & AJ
Also, If you have a question for us, it could be super silly, it can be a little bit deeper. It doesn’t matter, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org... you may just hear the answer on an upcoming podcast episode!