Episode 60 - A Biblical approach to health and fitness with Brandice Lardner
Welcome to our second episode of our Self Care from a Biblical Perspective Series!
In today’s episode we are welcoming another amazing guest, Brandice from Grace Filled Plate. She started her journey as a personal trainer and nutrition coach. Through that career, she was able to see that people don't change easily without knowing Jesus and the work of the Spirit.
“The more I wove my faith into my own journey, the more freedom I experienced.”
Today you’ll hear:
- The background behind this whole topic of weight loss, body image, the weight gain/loss cycle, and the marketing schemes of the world;
- How bringing God into our health and fitness and relying on the Lord can bring about change through His strength;
- A beautiful invite for us to start seeing things through the lens of our faith;
- How our approach to EVERYTHING in life, including the desire to lose weight, must align with the truths and principles of Scripture.
As we start the new year, we think about new beginnings and all the changes and goals we have for ourselves, be it professionally, relationally, spiritually, or personally. Find a new job, exercise more, eat healthier, and lose weight. We want to invite you to see these things through the lens of our faith in God's word.
Fresh starts are a gift from God. Be it a New Year or a new Monday… or a new hour… it’s never too late to change. The Lord gives us new beginnings every single day. And every single meal and every single hour and every single bite.
Don't wait until the next “big moment” to make a change; it can happen NOW. Every little tiny step that we make for his glory is beneficial and it totally counts.
On this episode, the gals also discussed how we are constantly reminded of what we lack, what we need. Yet in Christ, we are complete. As such, we want to focus on glorifying him. That means living not in light of what we don't have, but in what we do.
Instead of focusing on what we lack, let's focus on the things to be thankful for. And when we change that perspective about our bodies and our relationship with food, those goals and changes start to fall into line.
The core of the gospel is that all of our needs are supplied in Christ Jesus. And we need to keep going back to that message again and again. As we talk about diet, culture and the like, remember that the foundation is this: your identity is not in your weight or how you look, your identity is in who you are in Christ.
Be sure to listen to the episode for some very practical first steps to take at the end of the episode!
Meet the Guest
- Brandice helps Christian women who've been beaten up by the diet industry or who feel inadequate because they don't fit a certain size. She helps women walk in freedom as they seek the Lord in their health choices.
- Connect with Brandice:
“It's okay to want to have a weight loss goal, but remember you already have acceptance in Christ. Don't do it because you feel like it's finally gonna make you lovable. You are loved beyond imagination by the Lord. So as you identify your goal, see if you can dig into why behind it.” - Brandice
“A poor decision rarely happens in a peace-filled environment because the Holy Spirit is peace and he's within you.” - Brandice Lardner
- Become a Sojo Academy member: a community for Christian women that encourages Bible Study, fellowship, and creative worship. CHECK IT OUT HERE.
- Check out HERE to check out all the FREE resources available!
HOW TO RATE, REVIEW & SUBSCRIBE
You can find The Sojo Show Podcast on all the major podcast apps, as well as here on The Sojo Hub website.
Subscribe on your favorite podcast player using the links below.
Spotify | Apple | Google | Amazon
And don’t forget to leave a rating and review after you’ve listened. We really appreciate it and truly want to hear what you think!
CONNECT WITH JEN & AJ
Also, If you have a question for us, it could be super silly, it can be a little bit deeper. It doesn’t matter, email us at email@example.com... you may just hear the answer on an upcoming podcast episode!